The influence of intellectual capital on non-financial performance of commercial banks in Tanzania
The purpose of this study was to establish the predictive model for non-financial performance measures of commercial banks in Tanzania. This study employed a cross-sectional survey design to examine how an intellectual capital component influences the non-financial performance measures of a firm. The participants for this study came from employees of the top ten best commercial banks in Tanzania. Convenience sampling was used to select the desired participants, and purposive sampling was used to select the four banks. Three fifty nine (359) respondents participated in this study and a linear multiple regression analysis was used to establish the best predictive model. The predictive model developed explained 71 percent of the variance in non-financial performance measures of a firm. The model developed is significant as it provides empirical evidence that links intellectual capital components to non-financial performance measures. Further, it explains that by embracing distinctive non-financial performance measures, a firm may have quality services, satisfied customers, and thus, building a long-term competitive advantage. In general, human, customer, structural, and innovation capital were found to be significant predictors of non-financial performance measures of a firm. This study recommends that future researchers may use a structural equation modeling approach to explore more the understanding of the influence of human, customer, structural and innovation capital on non-financial performance measures of a firm.
Keywords: Intellectual Capital, Human Capital, Customer Capital, Structural Capital, Innovation Capital, and Non- financial performance measures of the firm.
Cite this Article
Msafiri A. (2022). The influence of intellectual capital on non-financial performance of commercial banks in Tanzania. University of Arusha Academic Journal, 29-41.
Abdullah, D. F., & Sofian, S. (2013). The Relationship between Intellectual Capital and innovation. Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, 40, 537–541. doi:10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.03.227
Abdullahi, U.,Ardo, Y., Hassan, A., Indrahim, G.( 2021). Assessment of Financial and Non-financial performance indicators used by small and medium construction firms in Nigeria. Retrieved from https://www.ajol.info.fjeAhmad, K., &Zabri, S. M. (2016). The application of non-financial performance measurement in Malaysian manufacturing firms. Procedia Economics and Finance, 35, 476-484
Alves, I., Lourenço, S.M. (2022) The use of non-financial performance measures for managerial compensation: evidence from SMEs. J Manag Control 33, 151–187 doi:10.1007/s00187-022-00337-8
Alkhateeb, N., Yao,L., Cheng,J., (2018). Review of intellectual capital components research. Retrieved from https://bit.ly/3UgbRKQ
Ahmad, K. & Zabri, S. M. (2016). The Effect of Non-financial Performance Measurement System on Firm Performance . International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues , 6 (6) , 50-54 . Retrieved from https://dergipark.org.tr/en/pub/ijefi/issue/31991/352798
Bontis, N., William Chua, C. K., & Richardson, S. (2000). Intellectual capital and business performance in Malaysian industries.Journal of Intellectual Capital, 1(1), 85. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview
Blandina, W. K., Stephen, M. A. M., & Samuel, M. M. (2021). Strategic Intelligence andFinancial Performance in the Commercial Banks in Kenya. International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, 11(3), 243-257
Bronzetti, G., Mazzotta, R., Puntillo, P., Silvestri, A., &Veltri, S. (2011). Intellectual Capital Reporting Practices in the Non-Profit Sector, 10-22. Retrieved from http://goo.gl/kHyqOY.
Cabrita, M. R. &Bontis, N. (2008). Intellectual capital and business performance in the Portuguese banking industry. International Journal of Technology Management, 43, 212-237.
Conner, K. R. (1991). A historical comparison of resource-based theory and five schools of thought within industrial organization economics: do we have a new theory of the firm?.Journal of management, 17(1), 121-154.
Chen, J., Z. Zhu, and H. Y. Xie (2004). Measuring intellectual capital: A new model and empirical study. Journal of Intellectual Capital,5(1), 195-212.
Choong, KweeKeong. (2008). Intellectual Capital: Definitions, Categorization and Reporting Models. Journal of Intellectual Capital. (9). 609-638. doi:10.1108/14691930810913186.
Datar, S., Kulp, S. C., & Lambert, R. A. (2001). Balancing performance measures. Journal of Accounting Research, 39(1), 75-92
Dudic, Z., Dudic, B., Gregus, M., Novackova, D, & Djakovic, I. (2020) The innovativeness and usage of the balanced scorecard model in SMEs. Retrieved fromshorturl.at/DLMW2
Duho, K. C. T &Agomor, P. E. ( 2021) Intellectual Capital and Performance among Listed Non-Financial Firms in West Africa Dataking Working Paper Series N° Retrieved from https://ssrn.com/abstract=3803094
Dumay, John & Guthrie, James & Rooney, Jim. (2020). Being critical about intellectual capital accounting in 2020: An overview. Critical Perspectives on Accounting. 70. 102185. 10.1016/j.cpa.2020.102185.
Duho, K. C. &Agomor, P.E. (2021). Intellectual Capitaland Performance among Listed Non-Financial Firms in West Africa Dataking Working Paper Series N° WP2021-03-02, Retrieved from: shorturl.at/bcGN7
Drakes, N. (2019). Human Capital Development: A Study of Civil Society Engagement in the National AIDS Programme. Retrieved from https://bit.ly/3fwuYhv
Edvinsson, L. (1997), ‘Developing intellectual capital at Skandia’, Long Range Planning, 30(3), 266-373.
Ernst & Young (nd).Measures that matters. Retrieved from: shorturl.at/tIY07.
Ekaningrum, Y. (2021) the influence of Intellectual capital elements on company performance. Journal of Asian Finance, Economics and Business. Vol.8 (1) 257-269
Funda B. K, GoncaGuzel S., &Poyraz G. (2010). Intellectual capital in organizations.Problems and Perspectives in Management, 8(1-1)
Garima Sisodia, Nemiraja Jadiyappa & Anto Joseph | David McMillan (Reviewing editor) (2021) The relationship between human capital and firm value: Evidence from Indian firms, Cogent Economics & Finance, 9:1, doi: 10.1080/23322039.2021.1954317
Ibrahim, S., & Lloyd, C. (2011). The association between non-financial performance measures in executive compensation contracts and earnings management. Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, 30(3), 256-274.
Joshi, M., Cahill, D., Sidhu, J., &Kansal, M. (2013). Intellectual capital and financial performance: An evaluation of the Australian financial sector. Journal of Intellectual Capital, 14(2), 264-285.doi:10.1108/14691931311323887
Garcia, I. A. (2011) Managerial perception of factors contributing to the performance ofbusiness organizations (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Adventist International Institute of Advanced Studies, Silang Philippines.
- Ittner, C., & Larcker, D. (1998). Innovations in performance measurement: Trends and research implications. Journal of Management Accounting Research, 10, 205–238.
- Kaplan, R. S. (2010). Conceptual foundations of the balanced scorecard (No. 10-074). Harvard Business School.
- Kaplan, R.S. & Norton, .D.P (2001). Transforming the balance scorecard from performance Measurement to strategic management: part 1.Accounting horizons, 15(1), 87-104.
- Kaplan, R. S., & Norton, D. P. (1992). The Balanced Scorecard – Measures That Drive Performance. Harvard Business Review, 70(1), 71–79.
- Kaplan, R.S. & Norton, D.P. (1996). Using the balanced scorecard as strategic management system Harvard Business Review 74 (1), 75–85. Retrieved from https://labcalidad.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/oil.pdf
- Kasie, F. M., & Belay, A. M. (2013). The impact of multi-criteria performance measurement on business performance improvement. Journal of Industrial Engineering and Management, 6(2), 595-625.
- Kenton, W. (2022) Human Capital Definition.Types, examples and relationship to economy. Retrieved from https://bit.ly/2qDS0ID
- Khalique, M., Isa, A. H. M., &Shaari, J. A. N. B. (2013). Predicting the impact of intellectual capital management on the performance of SMEs in electronics industry in Kuching, Sarawak. IUP Journal of Knowledge Management, 11(4), 53-61. Available from http://search.proquest.com/docview/1468930037?accountid=42729.
- Khalique, M., & Isa, A. H. (2015).Impact of intellectual capital on the organizational performance of airline industry in Malaysia. In N. Ray, D. Das, S. Chaudhuri, & A. Ghosh (Eds.) Strategic Infrastructure Development for Economic Growth and Social Change (pp. 38-50). Hershey, PA: Business Science Reference. doi:10.4018/978-1-4666-7470-7.ch004.
- Kijek, T. (2012).Innovation capital and its measurement. Journal of Entrepreneurship, Management and Innovation, (4), 52-68.
- Kori, B., Muathe,S., Maina, S. M. (2020). Fiancial and non-fiancial measures in evaluating performace: the role of strategic intelligence in the context of commercial banks in Kenya. International Business Research 13910):130 doi:10.5539/ibr.v13n10p130
- Maditinos, D., Ševi, Ž.,&Tsairidis, C. (2010). Intellectual capital and business performance: An empirical study for the Greek listed companies. European Research Studies, 8(3), 145–167.
- Mashovic, A. (2018). Key financial and nonfinancial measures for performance evaluation of foreign subsidiaries, Journal of Contemporary Economic and Business Issues, ISSN 1857-9108, Ss. Cyril and Methodius University in Skopje, Faculty of Economics, Skopje, Vol. 5, Iss. 2, pp. 63-74
- Marr, B. (2018). Intellectual Capital. The Palgrave Encyclopedia of Strategic Management, 772–775. doi:10.1057/978-1-137-00772-8_317.
- Marie, A. A., Ibrahim, M. E., & Al Nasser, A. D. (2014). Effects of Financial and Non-financial Performance Measures on Customers’ Perceptions of Service Quality at Islamic Banks in UAE. International Journal of Economics and Finance, 6(10), 201.
- Marimuthu, M., Arokiasamy, L., & Ismail, M. (2009). Human capital development and its impact on firm performance: Evidence from developmental economics. The journal of international social research, 2(8), 265-272.
- Palys, T. (2008). Purposive sampling. In L. Given (Ed.), The SAGE encyclopedia of qualitative research methods. (pp. 698-699). Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE. doi: doi:10.4135/9781412963909.n349
- Qi W., Yingqi, P., Peicong, Z., Chengcheng, L. (2022). The Relationship Between Nonfinancial Measurements and Company Performance – Based on the Level of Customer Satisfactiondoi:10.2991/assehr.k.200826.015
- Richards, M. (2022). When do Non-financial Goals Benefit Stakeholders? Theorizing on Care and Power in Family Firms. doi:10.1007/s10551-022-05046-9
- Saunders, M., Lewis, P., &Thornhill, A. (2012). Research Methods for Business Students. (6thed.). London, UK: Pearson.
- Shanthi, V. (2018).Structural capital and organizational effectiveness.http://ijrar.com/upload_issue/ijrar_issue_20542456.pdf
- Sharabati, A. A., Jawad, S. N., &Bontis, N. (2010). Intellectual capital and business performance in the pharmaceutical sector of Jordan.Management Decision, 48(1), 105–131.doi:10.1108/00251741011014481
- Tenai, J.K ,Cheboi, J. Chelogoi, S. K. (2019). effect of innovation capital on financial performance of firms listed in Nairobi security exchange.Journal of Business Management and Economic Research 3(13):38-59 doi: 10.29226/TR1001.2020.173
- Van Gijsel, P.(2012). The importance of non-financial performance measures during the economic crisis. Retrieved from http://goo.gl/SeS3y6
- Van Zyl, C. R. (2005). Structural capital management creates sustainable competitiveness and prolonged first-mover advantage. ActaCommercii, 5(1), 84-95
- Vélez-González, H., Pradhan, R., & Weech-Maldonado, R. (2011). The role of non-financial performance measures in predicting hospital financial performance: The case of for-profit system hospitals.Journal of Health Care Finance, 38(2), 12-23. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/911542726?accountid=42729
- Wudhikarn, R., Pongpatcharatorntep, D. (2022). An Improved Intellectual Capital Management Method for Selecting and Prioritizing Intangible-Related Aspects: A Case Study of Small Enterprise in Thailand. doi:10.3390/math10040626
- Xue, S., Zhang, B., Zhao, X., (2019). Brain Drain.The impact of air pollution on firm performance. Retrieved from https://bit.ly/3DpCK94
- Yuliansyah, Y. &Razimi, M. (2015). Non financial performance measures and managerial performance.The mediation role of innovation in an Indonesian stock exchange-listed organization.Problem and Prospective in Management. Volume 13, issue 4. Retrieved from shorturl.at/COR01